Block's spectrometer products and widely tunable QCL sources have been featured in numerous research papers. Please click here for a current list of papers.
Block Engineering Technology
Quantum Cascade Lasers are semiconductor devices, which operate differently from conventional semiconductor lasers. For information on QCL technology used by Block, please click here.
FTIR Spectroscopy is a sensor technology based on the Michelson interferometer. To read a description of the technology used in a basic Michelson Interferometer as well as passive FTIR spectroscopy, please click here.
Block is using sophisticated MEMS technologies to develop miniaturized FTIRs on a chip. For information on our MEMS technology, please click here.
Block's technologies and products have significant applications in security/public safety, research, and industrial markets. Block's goal is to capture a major share of these multi-billion dollar markets by providing "substance analysis" using high-functionality, mobile devices for in field, in line or in vitro operation. The problems that we solve in each industry include:
- Early warning against terrorist attacks
- Intelligent battlefield
- Detection of flammables/explosives
- Substance authentication/validation
- Expedited drug discovery
- Availability of "personalized" tools for research
- Instrument accessibility to teachers/students
- Access to multiple measurement modalities
- Improved monitoring for efficient production
- Avoidance of accidents
- Minimal production interruptions
- Rapid detection of equipment malfunctions