Position Opening: Vice President of Engineering
Title: Vice President of Engineering
Location: Southborough, MA
Block Engineering is a leading supplier of laser-based systems that provide early warning detection and identification of chemical threats, including Chemical Warfare Agents (CWAs), Toxic Industrial Chemicals (TICs), drugs, and explosives. Block is the proud winner of two Photonics West Prism Awards and the Milipol Paris Innovation Award for Crisis Management.
Block Engineering is a leading developer of laser-based systems that provide early warning detection and identification of chemical threats. Block is the proud winner of two Photonics West Prism Awards and the Milipol Paris Innovation Award. Headquartered in Southborough, Massachusetts (30 minutes west of Boston), Block offers a competitive compensation package and a business culture which rewards performance.
Block is seeking to fill the position of Vice President of Engineering. This position will report directly to the Senior Vice President of Engineering and Technology at Block. The Vice President of Engineering will lead the development and commercialization efforts of Block's quantum cascade laser-based spectrometer products, including security products for protection of critical infrastructure, chemical leak detection systems, laser sources for research, and specially designed laser modules for OEM customers.
Please note that due to work on government-funded R&D programs, candidates must be eligible to pass a security clearance.
Responsibilities will include:
- Manage all engineering activities and execution across multi-disciplinary teams, including mechanical / opto-mechanical, electronics, firmware, software engineering and algorithms teams.
- Management of the Product Development and New Product Introduction process and development of technical risk management processes.
- Leadership to ensure technical innovations are explored and implemented into the products in order to increase their market competitiveness.
- Design for Manufacturing/Assembly process in collaboration with manufacturing and leadership towards cost-reduction efforts to increase product margins.
- Technical leadership towards the further development of a technical and product roadmap.
- Oversee product certification for hazardous and industrial environments operations.
- Work closely with the Director of Government Programs on resources and on time delivery.
- Manage the execution of all commercial programs.
- Work closely with product management and sales/marketing teams to ensure proper development of product requirements and establishment of engineering specifications.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
- Minimum of a Master's Degree in Physics, Optical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or other technical field required. PhD preferred.
- At least 15 years of engineering work experience, with at least ten years in an engineering management position.
- Strong systems engineering experience, including experience with optical instrumentation incorporating several of the following: advanced electronics, embedded software, optics, spectroscopy and/or lasers.
- Experience developing and commercializing field-based instruments that operate in an industrial environment would be ideal.
- Experience with signal processing or detection algorithms would be ideal.
- Demonstrated self-starter with ability and desire for a fast-paced multitasking environment.
- Excellent communications skills and proven ability to work across department to achieve goals.
Block Engineering is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply, please email resumes to Danny at email@example.com. Thank you for your interest.