Position Opening: Senior Software Engineer: Linux-Based C++ for Scientific Instruments
Title: Senior Software Engineer: Linux-Based C++ for Scientific Instruments
Location: Southborough, MA
Block Engineering is a leading supplier of laser-based systems that provide early warning detection and identification of chemical threats, including Chemical Warfare Agents (CWAs), Toxic Industrial Chemicals (TICs), drugs, and explosives. Block is the proud winner of two Photonics West Prism Awards and the Milipol Paris Innovation Award for Crisis Management.
Block Engineering is a leading developer of laser-based systems that provide early warning detection and identification of chemical threats. Block is the proud winner of two Photonics West Prism Awards and the Milipol Paris Innovation Award. Headquartered in Southborough, Massachusetts (30 minutes west of Boston), Block offers a competitive compensation package and a business culture which rewards performance.
Block is seeking a Senior Software Engineer to lead and participate in the development of its instrument control software. Development will primarily involve C++ in a Linux / embedded Linux environment.
Please note that due to work on government-funded R&D programs, candidates must be eligible to pass a security clearance.
Responsibilities will include:
- Lead and participate in the development and implementation of Block's software for instrument control of our pioneering quantum cascade laser (QCL) based spectrometers and industrial solutions.
- Lead and participate in the development, integration, and management of automated build system, software versioning, branching, and testing.
- Develop internal manufacturing and customer service tools to support the business.
- Assist in the development and debugging of low-level software components that interacts with FPGAs, embedded microprocessors, and device drivers.
- Research and manage new software technology to maximize business efforts.
- Support key OEM customers with software integration efforts and provide technical recommendations to the sales support team as required.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
- A BS degree in Computer Science or related fields. MS degree is a plus.
- Must have knowledge and experience with embedded Linux, Linux kernel, POSIX APIs, and various scripting languages/environments.
- Must have OOP experience and strong C++ coding skills. Experience with Python is a plus.
- Prefer working experience with Git and Jira in a team environment.
- Familiarity with CD/CI tools and environments (e.g., Docker, Jenkins) is a plus.
- Familiarity with communication protocols (Ethernet, USB, UART, PCI-X, SPI, etc.) would be helpful.
- Familiarity with standard commands for programmable instruments (SCPI) is a plus.
- Experience with RESTful and SOAP web services is a plus.
- Successful candidates should display enthusiasm, curiosity, and a "Can-Do" attitude. The ideal candidate will be self-motivated, work well with little supervision, and have a high degree of initiative and follow through.
Block Engineering is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply, please email resumes to Danny at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for your interest.