Position Opening: Senior Mechanical Engineer
Title: Senior Mechanical Engineer
Location: Southborough, MA
Block Engineering is a developer of lasers and field-based chemical detection systems for safety, security, life sciences and environmental monitoring applications. Block is the proud winner of two Photonics West Prism Awards and the Milipol Paris Innovation Award. The company is headquartered in Southborough, Massachusetts in the greater Boston metro area.
Block is seeking a hands-on Senior Mechanical Engineer to help with the development of Block’s mid-infrared laser products and laser-based spectrometers. Work will include the development of commercial products and the transition of R&D projects into manufacturing. Experience with design for manufacturability (DFM) techniques would be ideal.
The position will be a hybrid work arrangement, with 2-3 days/week on-site at Block Engineering’s office in Southborough, MA.
Responsibilities will include:
- Transition R&D laser system designs to commercial products based on market requirements
- Support the development of new prototypes focused on chemical and explosives detection
- Product design for manufacturing readiness, including system-level and laser modules
- Document system requirements as part of the product design process (PDP)
- Integrate printed circuit board assemblies (PCBA) with mechanical systems
- Conduct full system tolerance and worst-case analyses
- Model system performance to ensure field-based environmental conditions will be met
- Support identification and selection of appropriate suppliers for all design elements
- Detail designs sufficient for modern manufacturing
- Create prototype units and refine designs as needed
- Conduct team design reviews and document milestones
- Supporting existing products, update designs and manufacturing documentation
Ideal Candidate Characteristics:
- BSME with at least 10 years of experience designing and modeling electro-mechanical systems. MSME is a plus
- Experience with Solidworks and Solidworks PDM
- Thermal and structural FEA
- Can do, self-starter, independent and team-player, desire to help attitude
- Curious and eager to learn and grow with the company
- Process and detail oriented
Any of the following characteristics would be helpful as well:
- Experience designing optical and optomechanical systems, including Zemax optical modeling
- Fluid dynamic modeling, CFD, Flow, Fluent or other
- Solid understanding of electronic controls and power systems
- Experience with government development contracts
Block Engineering is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply, please email resumes to Danny at email@example.com. Thank you for your interest.