Position Opening: R&D Scientist
Title: R&D Scientist
Location: Southborough, MA
Block Engineering is a developer of laser-based chemical detection systems for safety, security, and environmental monitoring applications. Block is the proud winner of two Photonics West Prism Awards and the Milipol Paris Innovation Award. Block is headquartered in Southborough, Massachusetts in the greater Boston metro area.
Block is currently seeking an R&D Scientist to support the development of optical technologies for the detection of trace chemicals in order to enhance safety and security. Block's systems include mid-infrared quantum cascade lasers used for spectroscopy and chemical detection applications. This role involves supporting both R&D programs and the development of commercial products.
Recent graduates and entry-level job seekers with a M.S. or Ph.D. in optical engineering, physics, or other technical/scientific disciplines are encouraged to apply.
Responsibilities will include:
- Execute R&D and engineering projects related to the development of state-of-the-art chemical detection equipment. Many of these projects will involve laboratory work (on an optical table), field testing, and data analysis.
- Transfer the results of R&D activities to engineering and manufacturing.
- Translate testing results and system requirements into system designs.
- Coordinate with cross-functional teams to meet project goals.
- Present information and results to government sponsors and commercial customers.
- Support the formulation and writing of research proposals
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
- M.S. or Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering, Optics, Optical Engineering, Photonics, Physics, Chemistry, or related field.
- Hands-on experience using lasers, optics, and electronics. Experience with an optical bench is required.
- Ability to be self-directed in experimental design, setup, execution, and analysis.
- Skill using software platforms such as Python or MATLAB for data analysis.
- Team player with the ability to thrive in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Experience with the control of instruments using C, C++, or Python would be helpful.
- Experience with any combination of the following skills would be helpful: mid-infrared spectroscopy, trace chemical detection, imaging, chemometrics, sample handling, hyperspectral imaging, and/or modeling of light scattering.
Block Engineering is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply, please email resumes to Danny at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for your interest.