Position Opening: Optical Engineer
Title: Optical Engineer
Location: Southborough, MA
Block Engineering, located in Southborough, MA (Boston metro area) is a designer of Quantum Cascade Laser-based spectrometers for the detection and identification of gases, liquids and solids. Block’s products have won multiple photonics and homeland security awards, and are used to protect people and facilities against chemical threats.Block is seeking an Optical Engineer to assist with the design and development of Block’s laser-based products. This role’s responsibilities include creating solutions for current products and new products under development. Please note that candidates must be eligible to pass a security clearance due to work on government-funded R&D programs.
Responsibilities will include:
- Assist with the optical design work on Block's suite of Quantum Cascade Laser-based chemical detection systems.
- Assist with the design, development and analysis of optical components and sub-systems.
- Design and build prototypes, create detailed drawings and instructions then release to production.
- Responsible for all technical documentation and artifacts (Models, CADs, drawings, Simulation, BOMs, etc.) relevant to the optical design.
- Assist with the preparation of product technical requirements and specifications.
- Work closely with documentation and configuration management and ECO process.
- Interact with other engineering groups (Electrical and Software), as well as cross-functional teams such as Manufacturing, Quality and Supply Chain.
- Work closely with product managers on products and customer requirements.
- Work on projects independently, and with a multi-disciplined team of scientists, engineers and technicians.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
- Minimum of a BS in Optical Engineering, Physics, Photonics, or a related discipline. MS or PhD would be a strong plus. Recent graduates of graduate-level programs are welcome to apply.
- Candidates must be eligible to pass a security clearance due to work on government-funded R&D programs.
- Experience with optical design software (prefer either Zemax or LightTools).
- Hands-on experience and understanding of optics and optical engineering best practices.
- Excellent root cause analysis, problem-solving skills, and attention to detail.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Experience with Solidworks would be helpful.
- Enthusiasm, curiosity, and a "can do" attitude.
- Creative thinking to develop practical solutions.
- Strong ownership, accountability, and work ethic.
- Open-minded and willingness to work closely with others.
Block Engineering is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply, please email resumes to Danny at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for your interest.