Position Opening: Lead Optical Engineer
Title: Lead Optical Engineer
Location: Southborough, MA
Block Engineering, located in Southborough, MA (Boston metro area) is a premier designer, manufacturer, and seller of Quantum Cascade Laser-based spectrometers for the detection and identification of gases, liquids and solids. Block's products have won two Prism awards, and are used to protect people and facilities against chemical threats.
Block is seeking a Lead Optical Engineer to lead the optical engineering work on Block's laser-based spectrometers. This role's responsibilities include creating solutions for current products and new products under development.
Responsibilities will include:
- Lead the optical design work on Block's suite of Quantum Cascade Laser-based chemical detection systems.
- Lead the design, development and analysis of optical components and sub-systems.
- Design and build prototypes, create detailed drawings and instructions then release to production.
- Responsible for all technical documentation and artifacts (Models, CADs, drawings, Simulation, BOMs, etc.) relevant to the optical design.
- Lead the preparation of product technical requirements and specifications.
- Work closely with documentation and configuration management and ECO process.
- Interact with other engineering groups (Electrical & Software), as well as cross-functional teams such as Manufacturing, Quality and Supply Chain.
- Work closely with product managers on products and customer requirements.
- Work on projects independently, and with a multi-disciplined team of scientists, engineers and technicians.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
- BS in Optical Engineering, Physics, Photonics, or a related discipline.
- Hands-on experience and understanding of optics and optical engineering best practices.
- Excellent root cause analysis, problem-solving skills, and attention to detail.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Experience with lens design software (Zemax preferred).
- Experience with Solidworks would be helpful.
- Successful candidates should display enthusiasm, curiosity, and a "Can-Do" attitude. The ideal candidate will be self-motivated, work well with little supervision, and have a high degree of initiative and follow through.
To apply, please email resumes to Danny at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for your interest.