Position Opening: Software Engineer: C++ for Scientific Instrument Control
Title: Software Engineer: C++ for Scientific Instrument Control
Location: Southborough, MA
Block Engineering, located in Southborough, MA (Boston metro area) is a premier designer, manufacturer, and seller of Quantum Cascade Laser-based spectrometers for the detection and identification of gases, liquids and solids. Block's products have won two Prism awards, and are used to protect people and facilities against chemical threats.
Block is seeking a Lead Software Engineer to develop its scientific instrument control software. Development will primarily involve C++ in a Linux/embedded Linux environment.
Responsibilities will include:
- Lead and participate in the development of Block's software for instrument control of our pioneering quantum cascade laser (QCL) based spectrometers.
- Lead and participated in the development, integration, and management of automated build system, software versioning, branching, and testing.
- Develop internal manufacturing and customer service tools to support the business.
- Assist in the development and debugging of low-level software components that interacts with FPGA and device drivers.
- Research and manage new software technology to maximize business efforts.
- Support key OEM customers with software integration efforts and provide technical recommendations to the sales support team as required.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
- A BS degree in Computer Science or related fields. MS or PhD is a plus.
- Must have OOP experience and strong C++ coding skills.
- Must have knowledge and experience with embedded Linux, Linux kernel, and/or POSIX APIs.
- Experience with Git and Jira in a team environment.
- Ideally, familiarity with communication protocols (Ethernet, USB, UART, PCI-X, etc.).
- Familiarity with virtual instrument software architecture (VISA) and standard commands for programmable instruments (SCPI) is a plus.
- Experience with RESTful and SOAP web services is a plus.
- Experience with Python, C# and/or .NET is a plus.
To apply, please email resumes to Danny at email@example.com. Thank you for your interest.