Position Opening: Director of Research and Development (Optical Systems)
Title: Director of Research and Development (Optical Systems)
Location: Southborough, MA
Block MEMS, LLC, located in Southborough, MA (west Boston metro area), is a developer of next-generation mid-infrared spectroscopy products that integrate Quantum Cascade Lasers (QCLs). Block's products are used for the detection of chemical threats, and are currently protecting both personnel and high-profile facilities worldwide.
Block is currently seeking a full-time Director of Research and Development who can lead both R&D programs and oversee the transition of new technology into Block's commercial products.
The Director of Research and Development will report to the Vice President of Technology.
Responsibilities will include:
- Lead the development and management of currently awarded multimillion government contracts, focused on advanced hyperspectral imaging systems for trace chemical detection and open-path, laser-based gas sensing.
- Be responsible for the development of Block's open-path, laser-based systems and the implementation of feature enhancements required for both commercial and government applications.
- Provide active, hands-on involvement in breadboarding and testing of laser-based, optomechanical system prototypes.
- Support proposal writing efforts for new government contracts related to chemical and other threat detection.
- Support the transfer of advanced development activities to engineering and manufacturing.
- Evaluate commercial applications that are enabled by technology developments.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
- M.S. or Ph.D. in Physics, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Optical Engineering, Photonics, or a related field.
- Minimum 10 years of R&D experience with at least five years of experience managing government or commercial R&D programs that are technically complex.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to interact with government sponsors.
- Experience with the design and development of optical systems. Experience with laser-based systems would be ideal.
- Team player with the ability to thrive in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment.
- The ability to pass a security clearance is essential.
- A background in spectroscopy, mid-infrared lasers, and/or gas detection systems would be helpful as well.
To apply, please email resumes to Dan at email@example.com. Thank you for your interest.