Position Opening: Optical Systems Engineer
Title: Optical Systems Engineer
Location: Southborough, MA
Block Engineering, located in Southborough, MA (west Boston metro area), is a developer of mid-infrared spectroscopy products that are based on Quantum Cascade Lasers (QCLs) and Fourier Transform Infrared (FTIR) Spectrometers. Block's products are used for the detection of chemical threats, and are currently protecting both personnel and high-profile facilities worldwide.
Block is currently seeking a full-time Optical Systems Engineer who can support both R&D programs and the development of commercial products.
The position will report to the Vice President of Technology.
Responsibilities will include:
- Develop state-of-the-art hyperspectral imaging systems for trace chemical detection and mobile gas sensors.
- Support the development of commercial products based on Block's quantum cascade laser-based technology.
- Transition the results of advanced development activities to engineering and manufacturing.
- Evaluate commercial applications.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
- B.S. or M.S. in Physics, Electrical Engineering, Optical Engineering, Photonics, or related field. A PhD would be a plus.
- Hands-on experience using lasers and optics on an optical bench is required. Experience with semiconductor lasers is a plus.
- Proficiency with electronics and software. MATLAB, C++, and/or Python experience would be ideal.
- Detail-oriented experimentalist.
- Team player with the ability to thrive in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment.
- Also helpful would be mechanical design experience using CAD tools such as SolidWorks, and/or a background in spectroscopy and sample handling.
To apply, please email resumes to Dan at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for your interest.