Position Opening: Principal Algorithm Scientist
Title: Principal Algorithm Scientist
Location: Southborough, MA
Block Engineering, located in Southborough, Massachusetts (greater Boston metro area), develops and sells Quantum Cascade Laser (QCL) and Fourier Transform Infrared (FTIR) based spectrometers for the identification and detection of gases, liquids and solids.
Block is seeking a Principal Algorithm Scientist to develop algorithms for high-speed data acquisition and analysis of data from laser-based spectroscopy equipment. The candidate will evaluate and implement spectroscopic and signal processing solutions that enhance data collection speed and further improve signal to noise ratios. The candidate will also implement efforts to enable new data collection capabilities for Block's products.
We are seeking a candidate with experience in data mining, machine learning, signal processing, chemometrics and statistics. This position involves working in conjunction with a small interdisciplinary team, and will interact with electrical, software, mechanical, and manufacturing engineering teams.
Job Functions and Responsibilities:
- Develop algorithms in MATLAB and/or in Python and implement in C/C++ under Linux embedded systems to support Block's QCL gas sensors.
- Enhance system functionality using a combination of analysis, simulation and experimentation.
- Provide spectroscopic data analysis and signal processing support for engineering prototypes and next-generation systems.
- Participate in specifying hardware capabilities for next-generation systems.
- Support the sales and marketing teams to evaluate and develop commercial applications.
Ideal Candidate Characteristics:
- MS or PhD in Applied Mathematics, Chemistry, Chemometrics, or a similar technical field.
- Minimum of 3 years experience in algorithm development, with demonstrated expertise in the following areas:
- Data mining and modeling.
- Classification problems and multivariate calibration and transfer.
- Proficiency with MATLAB and/or Python, as well as C/C++.
- Experience with spectroscopy is strongly preferred. Experience with optical systems, laser, and FTIR based instrumentation would be helpful.
- Prior experience in systems engineering in a product-development setting.
To apply, please email resumes to Dan at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for your interest.